Kidney Bean Poisoning

The other day I made some chili using dried kidney beans. I soaked them overnight then added them into chili and it was great. I had a bunch of leftover beans that I added to my lunch salad and thought nothing off it. They taste like sprouted beans which is much different than canned beans but I just associate that with 'healthy tasting' since it's supposed to activate enzymes:

Soaking allows enzymes, lactobacilli and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize a large portion of phytic acid in grains. Soaking in warm water also neutralizes enzyme inhibitors, present in all seeds, and encourages the production of numerous beneficial enzymes. The action of these enzymes also increases the amount of many vitamins, especially B vitamins. During the process of soaking and fermenting, gluten and other difficult-to-digest proteins are partially broken down into simpler components that are more readily available for absorption
— http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-benefits-of-soaking-nuts-and-seeds

Three hours after eating my salad I didn't feel so hot - fever-like symptoms and upset stomach. I laid down for nearly an hour before realizing what was going on. Food poisoning. I quickly googled "beans soaking sick" and came across this top hit: 

Beans need to be cooked longer to break down the chemical composition of a natural insecticide that is found within the beans. This chemical is commonly known as lectin and its scientific name is phytohaemagglutinin. If the beans are not cooked properly it can cause a broad range of symptoms ranging from minor discomfort to very severe pain and even getting food poisoning.
— http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Food-Poisoning-from-Undercooked-Beans

A few more searches confirmed my suspicion, uncooked beans can wreck you, especially kidney beans:

Kidney beans are more toxic than most other bean varieties if not pre-soaked and subsequently heated to the boiling point for at least 10 minutes. The U.S Food and Drug Administration recommends boiling for 30 minutes to ensure they reach a sufficient temperature long enough to completely destroy the toxin.
— https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_bean

The next hour I spent making trips to the bathroom, throwing up and I'll spare the details. I didn't let that stop me from heading out on a 4.84 mile run with Jim at 5:15 though. After the first mile I realized I was in trouble and had to pull over just after two miles and again at a port-o-potty with just under a couple miles left. After the run, as I was backing out of his driveway, I had to throw up so I ran into some shrubs and heaved a few times. After that I continued to feel a little sick until around 8pm when I could finally get some broth and rice down with a slice of bread. Everything was better the next morning but man, that hit fast and hard. Figured I would have learned this at some point in life but no one else I've talked to seemed to know anything about the toxicity of beans.